Shop Gotham has long been about providing eager shoppers with ‘Insider’ information – just check out our Garment Center Tours. We wanted to take that one step further for all of our visitors out there, so we are introducing to you *drumroll please* our new Guest Blogger series. We’ve delved deep into the world of fashion to find you New York’s top bloggers who are armed with travel and style advice for you as you plan ahead your trip to the fashion capital of the world. This week we speak to the wonderful Brittni Joy Shalit, a style savvy New Yorker who runs her own fashion company, In All Honesty. She’ll have you ready for your travels in no time!
SG: Hi, tell us a little bit about In All Honesty?
BJS: In All Honesty is a women’s fashion brand derived on having versatile and easy pieces that can be worn a million different ways, dressed up or down – with a slight edge to it. After a few months of having the online shop open, I decided to take it a step further and make In All Honesty a blog as well to help show all the different ways in which the pieces can be worn. An inspiration of sorts. From there the blog kind of took off and I started to add in Personal Style as well.
SG: What are your Top 5 recommended ‘must have pieces’ right now, for fashionistas preparing to pack for their NYC trip?
1. Layers – it changes from hot to cold and gets chilly in-between the buildings
2. A cute backpack – whether it be a fjallraven or a vintage designer one you stole for your mom, it’s perfect to run around the city with and works for day to night.
3. Suede. Really into suede skirts, tops, jackets & bags too! REALLY into suede bags. (suede backpack – DUH!)
4. Fashion sweatshirt. My favorite look hands down is an oversized cute sweatshirt with vintage cutoff denim shorts.
5. Comfortable shoes. You will be walking a lot, and if you’re not, you didn’t do NYC justice. Converse hi tops are always my go-to’s, or my black ankle boots.
SG: Biggest trend this season?
BJS: Truthfully this is a tougher question than “tell me about yourself.” I don’t really follow trends, I kind of just think of things I want to wear and then the hunt begins to find them. Some key things I’m looking forward to wearing this summer are: Co-ords, denim cut-offs with sheer tops or bodysuits (one-piece swimsuits work too), sneakers (think stan smith or Converse), flatforms, and leather. ALWAYS leather.
SG: What is your secret NYC hotspot?
BJS: Whether it’s a secret or not, my favorite place that I drag all my friends to is Macondo in the LES. THE best sangria, tacos, and guacamole, EVER.
SG: Best travel advice given?
BJS: Plan your outfits (versatility is key) and pack light, you can always go shopping for what you didn’t bring.